Tuesday, February 01, 2022

Lessons learned the hard way.

I'm going to upgrade this recent comment from Peter "Rogue Nerd One" Skinner because it really needs to be read (minor aesthetic editing added):

I have a friend and his son trapped on the outskirts of Ottawa for the past 3 days. Many people tried to talk him out of his little road trip, but he wouldn't listen. He's vaccinated 3x, but he's very anti-government. It's the way he was brought up. He's there fighting for freedoms, not against a vaccine.

He's trying to leave because food and fuel are short, but the tractors are parked so close together he can't move. In trying to get help, he's being called a traitor for leaving. Fact is he spent a lot of money getting there with the promise once he got to Ottawa he'd receive reimbursement. As of 2 days ago, he can't reach any of the leadership. It's as if he's been soft blocked on the app they used. There's 3 other convoys in the same predicament, leaders are giving interviews from "undisclosed locations" because EVERYONE is looking for them.

The terrific thing is that word's gone through the entire convoy that the RCMP and City of Ottawa are attempting to seize those donated funds, or at least stop them from being withdrawn.

This is _exactly_ what I warned about, to all the people going. I even attended the rally here last Saturday and it was a shit show. It wasn't a protest. It was a mob of asshats looking to start trouble.

I asked one person there what he thought about all the racist images coming in, and he said "that's not here in Edmonton" and I pointed to one in the crowd. Instead of calling it down, he got aggressive and called me a traitor.

He got even more upset when I said if I'm the problem calling out racism in his movement, he was comfortable with the imagery.

As we speak, my friend is walking up the road to ask RCMP for assistance with getting out of the truck line and coming home. He feels like an ass, and he feels like he was duped. He's also not the only one there feeling the same.

4 comments:

MgS said...

It was obvious from day one that this whole thing was first off a grift to get as much money out of the numpties as possible, and second, going to turn into an absolute shitshow of utter stupidity.

I don’t care if someone is “anti-government”, or whatever - if they fell for this scam, that’s on them. It took about 30s of thinking to realize that every extremist crank was going to gear up for this event, and about 35s of thought to realize that the funds for it were likely to come under legal attack to pay the costs associated with keeping this from getting out of hand.

RogueNerdOne said...

@MsG: I agree 100% with you. I warned him this was going to be the case and I used Rebel Media to prove it. I showed how many times Ezra's sought support, get the required amount, then either not complete the project or deliver something far less than promised.

When I say he's anti-government and this is how he was raised, I mean it. His Dad and Uncles were so anti-government they tried to start their own militia down by Medicine Hat.

It's funny at times because he'll rail on something for a while, then the government does exactly what he said they should do, but then find it suspicious they did it and looks endlessly for a reason why they REALLY did it. We literally call him rabbit because of all the holes he goes down.

For the record, my nickname is Elmo. Once at a party I went to say something but my voice cracked weirdly and I'm told I sounded like Elmo. It stuck and that's how it's been for 20+ years.

He spent a lot of money getting down there and while he's upset, he's dreading coming to the "I told you so's..". He deserves it, but he got caught up in the mob mentality.

On the plus side, he is on his way home. A few of the truckers at that location left to come back this morning. Many are fed up with the lack of... well everything.

MgS said...

@RNO: So, more or less as one might expect with this kind of thing, the vast majority of the 'participants' get bored/tired/frustrated and head on home (likely a tank or two of fuel lighter in the wallet), and what's left will be the hardcore crowd, which the police should be able to round up and charge with public mischief fairly easily.

... and I doubt very much that any of the truckers will see so much as plug nickel worth of money to fill their gas tanks with.

Foog said...

"If you have 1 Nazi waving a swastika flag, and 100 protestors around him just fine with it, you have 101 Nazis"