Thursday, August 06, 2009

Murdering chicks for God.


Does anyone else find this just a bit creepy?

Maybe soon, I will see God and Jesus. At least that is what I was told. Eternal life does NOT depend on works. If it did, we will all be in hell. Christ paid for EVERY sin, so how can I or you be judged BY GOD for a sin when the penalty was ALREADY paid. People judge but that does not matter. I was reading the Bible and The Integrity of God beginning yesterday, because soon I will see them.

That bit of theological sophistry opens up a whole world of rationalizations for the criminally deranged, doesn't it?

4 comments:

Jim said...

To move from the general statement about "salvation by grace" to rationalizations for the criminally deranged is entirely possible, but it depends on a particular level and flavour of theological illiteracy.

Trust me, CC, this makes most believers of any stripe (including most Christians) as unhappy as it makes you.

Luna said...

Yup. What Jim said.

Kusotarre said...

There's a diary floating around that contains a bunch of this guy's writing, and he really doesn't come across as very religious. The comment in question seems to me to be more of a crutch he picked up once he'd decided to do this, not something which drove him to do it.

Perhaps it was the ingredient that pushed him over the threshold, though, as he'd canceled his plot once before, after going so far as to carry the loaded guns into the gym with him.

I dunno. I think this is more the result of this guy being a very lonely person. I can't even say he was a psychopath, after reading what he wrote.

Very banal stuff, really.

CC said...

It may be that this is an unfair generalization, but it's fascinating to think that, given that the devoutly religious are constantly yammering on about how we can't possibly be good or moral or ethical without religion, here we have someone putting forward an alternative theological position that, once you're saved, you have absolutely no constraints on your behaviour anymore, to the point where murdering people you don't even know won't cost you your spot in heaven.

I think the contrast is interesting, don't you?