Monday, January 18, 2010

Let's see how long that promise lasts.


How convenient:

Veterans Affairs Minister Greg Thompson announced Saturday that he was resigning from the Conservative federal cabinet effective immediately, setting the stage for a cabinet shuffle.

"I have reached that point in my life where I just know it is time to move on," Thompson, 62, said in a statement released on Saturday morning.

And here's the other shoe dropping:

Thompson said he would remain sitting as MP for New Brunswick Southwest until the next federal election, but will not run again. He told CBC he wants to spend more time at home with his family, but did not rule out the possibility of a Senate appointment.

"At some point maybe I might consider that, but not now," he said.

"You know, maybe in two or three years' time … if a position was offered to me, I might consider it. But at this point, I didn't retire as a cabinet minister to go to the Senate. I mean, that's just not part of the game plan."

I'm sure the excuses as to how he had no choice but to accept a Senate appointment are being fabricated even as I type. Call it a hunch.

2 comments:

Niles said...

Another quit bull? Although I suppose it's more of a quit poodle. Dreading going and visiting New Zealand as part of his VA duties, but ok with becoming a Senator?

Is Harper a quit bull?

Metro said...

@Niles:
Sadly no, he isn't. But he should take the hint.