Friday, May 16, 2008
Play time, kids.
An early start tonight, I think, in anticipation of the long weekend. As always — in the comments, if you please.
1) Favourite "Road Movie" and why.
2) Favourite "Swords & Sandals" film (thanks Red) and why.
3) And just to change things up, favourite pasta dish ... and why.
1) Kevin Smith’s Dogma ... which just tickles this lapsed Catholic schoolgirl endlessly. Come on — tell me this isn’t brilliant. I dare you. The fact that it threw that hypocritical fuckwit William Donohue from the Catholic League into full-metal ragegasm just endears it to me that much more.
2) 300 ... which is an almost perfect cinematic representation of Frank Miller’s graphic novel. And yes, I’m perfectly aware that for the most part, it’s complete and utter crap (PSA should be along any minute now to kick my ass over it). And no, I don’t care because I think it’s one of the most gorgeous films I’ve ever seen. And Gerard Butler is really, really, REALLY easy on the eyes.
3) My mother’s homemade lasagna. I’ve mentioned before that my dad is Italian and my mom is Irish (drinking and/or arguing with me is always fun) and when my parents got married, my mom didn’t know how to cook. So my nonna (my Italian grandmother) and my aunts taught my mom to cook like a true Italian girl. She makes her own pasta and then proceeds to layer it with meat sauce and freshly grated Mozzarella and Pecorino Romano cheeses in a pan that’s about 6 inches deep. The pasta is wafer thin so there’s about 20 layers of perfection to be had. It’s sooooo not good for you but it is beyond delicious. Hmmmmmmm. Is anyone else hungry?
Now your turn.