Friday, March 14, 2008

What a difference a year makes.


Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away (emphasis tail-waggingly added):

"There are those in the opposition who will say, 'You know, China is an important country, so we shouldn't really protest these things … so maybe someday we'll be able to sell more goods there,'" said Harper, who was in Halifax to speak the annual general meeting of Nova Scotia's Progressive Conservative party.

"I think that's irresponsible. I think the government of Canada, when a Canadian citizen is ill-treated and when the rights of a Canadian citizen need to be defended, I think it's always the obligation of the government of Canada to vocally and publicly stand up for that Canadian citizen.

"That is what we will continue to do."

Harper was referring to the case of Huseyin Celil, a Canadian activist jailed in China for alleged terrorist links.

And today? Ehhh ... not so much:

A Canadian woman languishing in a Mexican jail for two years and apparently facing a conviction on money-laundering charges even though her lawyer has not filed a defence vowed Thursday to take her own life on the same day if she is convicted.

Brenda Martin, 51, of Trenton, Ont., has been in jail in Guadalajara since Feb. 17, 2006. Mexican authorities allege she was part of a $60-million pyramid investment scheme that scammed about 15,000 people in dozens of countries...

The Internet-based scheme that resulted in Martin's arrest was run by her former boss Alyn Waage, formerly of Edmonton, who was convicted in 2005 and is serving a 10-year sentence in an American prison.

Waage has backed Martin's assertions of innocence...

Ottawa has sent a diplomatic protest note to Mexico. Norlock said Harper was considering the best way to help Martin, but worried about meddling in Mexico's justice system.

If I were you, Brenda, I'd make myself comfortable. I don't think Stephen's in any rush to do you any favours. Besides, there's an all-you-can-eat special at Red Lobster today so he's got other plans.

BY THE WAY
, Brenda, I also wouldn't be holding my breath for that overwhelming groundswell of support from Canada's compassionate conservatives, if you catch my drift. And I think you do.

11 comments:

Cameron Campbell said...

Did you catch the little detail where she was this guys COOK?

Sparky said...

And not to mention he-who-is-not-to-be-mentioned, but of course Patsy would think you're actually writing this directly to Brenda.
'Cause you know, she'll have the ability to read this from a mexican jail.

Raphael Alexander said...

Lazy journalism there, CC: There's No Reason We Can't Bring Brenda Home

liberal supporter said...

I think the Presidents of Canada and Mexico can work it out.
As soon as President George tells them it's ok, they'll get right on it.

CC said...

Gosh, Raph, but I'm ever so sorry that an explicit search of the BT web site for the phrases "Brenda Martin" and "Mexico" didn't land on your mud puddle of a blog.

You might want to chat with Stephen Taylor about that -- I'm pretty sure that isn't my fault. For once.

Raphael Alexander said...

All vitriol aside, I noticed quite a good deal of concern from the BT community. If you really wanted to write a snarky post, you'd compare my concern for Brenda in contrast with Omar "I'm a widdle child soldier" Khadr.

liberal supporter said...

Thanks for agreeing Khadr is a soldier. Not an "unlawful combatant".

POWs are not supposed to be tortured and executed for doing what soldiers do.

Cameron Campbell said...

You know what? I think the whole Khadr should be booted out of the country. I think the ones that did anything that is specifically illegal should be jailed and then booted out of the country.

But I think that this should be done in a real court, with real rule of law, with proper evidence supplied to both the defense and the prosecution...

I think Omar Khadr is probably did kill people and if he hasn't he probably will.

My problem isn't with arresting him or holding him, it's with the manner that these things have been accomplished.

Cameron Campbell said...

"I think Omar Khadr is probably did kill people and if he hasn't he probably will. " should have read "I think Omar Khadr probably did kill people and if he hasn't he probably will."

Red Tory said...

Like many, I could give a rat's ass about Khadr and his despicable family, but I think what bothers a lot of people about this issue is the disregard for due process and the fact the Bush administration's handling of this matter is clearly unconstitutional.

Cameron Campbell said...

red tory, exactly so.