Friday, August 03, 2007

"Support the troops"? Eh, not so much.


Holy. Freakin'. God.

The Honorable Alberto R. Gonzales
Attorney General
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20530

Dear Attorney General Gonzales: ...

During the July 24th hearing, I identified five interrogation techniques: 1) painful stress positions, 2) threatening detainees with dogs, 3) forced nudity, 4) waterboarding (i.e., simulated drowning) and 5) mock execution. I explained that the Judge Advocates General, the highest-ranking attorneys in each of the four military services, have stated that each of these techniques is illegal and violates Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions. I then asked you, "Would it be legal for a foreign government to subject a United States citizen to these so-called enhanced interrogation techniques which I just read?"

You're not going to believe what happens next:

You responded, "Senator, you're asking me to answer a question which, I think, may provide insight into activities that the CIA may be involved with in the future. … [I]t would depend on circumstances, quite frankly" (emphasis added).

Very. Long. Pause.

It would "depend on circumstances."

Make sure you appreciate what just happened here: Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, the highest ranking law enforcement official in the United States, has just announced to the entire world that he's not sure there's anything illegal about torturing American citizens because, after all, that would "depend on circumstances."

Dear U.S. troops: Your government has just declared open season on each and every one of you, and may God have mercy on your souls because the Bush administration doesn't give a fuck about you.

Have fun. I hear waterboarding is a real hoot. You might want to start practising holding your breath.

P.S. I'm sure that, being the super-patriot, "support the troops" kind of folks that they are, the Blogging Tories will be expressing their outrage over this recent development any minute now.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sometimes, I crack me up.

2 comments:

malkie said...

"provide insight into activities that the CIA may be involved with in the future" - I'm sure (?) that he didn't mean it, but this phrase seems to suggest that, in the future, the CIA may be involved with subjecting American citizens to enhanced interrogation techniques.

Or am I just perverse?

Rev.Paperboy said...

malkie, why should citizens get a free pass? the CIA will torture whoever it thinks it needs to: taliban, al quaida, democrats...