Friday, April 07, 2006

CanadianAlly.com: I'm still not convinced.


Dear Dave: Sadly, I think you've been buffaloed by Lt-Col Robertson. I'm not done with that web site yet but let me give you just one example of some annoying weaselitude on Robertson's part, when he writes (emphasis added):

The rationale of CanadianAlly.Com is stated on the site itself: "A comprehensive look at defence and security issues from a variety of key sources, outlining Canada's role in North American and Global Security and the War on Terror." Bottomline, the awareness level in the U.S. on all things Canada is shockingly low. In addition, much effort is put into countering widely-held myths within the United States that Canada is somehow weak on security and terrorism. We still deal with claims that some of the 19 hijackers entered the U.S. from Canada.

Fair enough. So one would think that that site would go to some trouble to clear up that particular myth, wouldn't you? And you'd be wrong. Feel free to go here and search for the word "hijackers." Bzzzzzt. Thanks for playing.

Sorry, Dave, but this isn't over yet. Not by a long shot.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I understand what you're saying, and even I think "Mission Accomplished" on the Golan is too over the top.

However, I don't think the site is as conspiratorial as I, or others initially thought it to be.

It would take more than Robertson to buffalo me. I was senior to him once.

I'm willing to take him at his word and I also understand what he's saying.

His reference to 9/11 was not in direct reference to the site by my reading; just that they were still hearing accusations that the terrorists who did the job came in through Canada.

The site would not work as a "we didn't do that" argument. I see what is being attempted. The whole thing is designed to appeal to the average American and the things they view as important, even if we view it differently.

When I get back from my next stint at sea I'll give everyone a rundown on the American right-wing mindset from a close-up view. I'll be smiling and making nice with hundreds of them.

(I just hope there's the occasional Democrat in there.)