Friday, May 23, 2008
Play time, boys and girls.
Just because I’m down, doesn’t mean I’m out. In the comments if you please.
1) Favourite Vampire film, campy and/or serious, and why.
2) Favourite John Wayne film and why.
3) And just to change things up, favourite dessert ... and why.
1) It’s a definite toss-up between Coppola’s Bram Stoker’s Dracula and The Lost Boys — both of which were pretty damned campy. I’m still not quite sure if Coppola meant his movie to be taken seriously or not. What do you think?
And just because it always makes me laugh — Love at First Bite with George Hamilton.
2) Rooster Cogburn, the ultimate crotchety old marshall. I’m not really what you’d call a fan of Wayne — I think he plays the same character in just about all his roles — but that movie has always appealed to me. Maybe it’s the fact that Katherine Hepburn, whose presence improves any film, is in it. Her portrayal of Eula Goodnight is just about perfect, but then we are talking about Hepburn. When was she not perfect? And the chemistry between Cogburn and Eula is outstanding, not to mention completely hilarious at times.
3) My mom’s homemade lemon meringue pie – it’s beyond delicious. The lemon curd filling is almost too tart (but it’s not) and the meringue adds just the perfect contrasting sweetness. And the crust ... did I mention my mom makes her own pie crust from scratch? It’s flaky and light as air ... I think I have to call my mother. I’m sure she’s dying to make her poor, wounded baby girl a lemon meringue pie.
Now your turn.
P.S. My foot really hurts. I just thought you needed to know that.