Thursday, December 04, 2008

Yeah, let's talk about that Conservative "mandate," shall we?


While I really do have more pressing things to be immersing myself in today, I want to put the hobnailed boots good and hard to a particularly pernicious bit of bullshit -- that, in the last election, Canadians gave Stephen the Large a solid "mandate" to govern.

Rubbish. That talking point is, quite simply, utter shash and I am now going to explain why.

Quite simply, mandates do not exist in a vacuum. Voters do not simply give their elected leaders a blank "mandate." Rather, they give them a mandate to govern under the assumption that those leaders will govern in the manner they described in their pre-election promises.

Put another way for the hard of thinking, if I am running for office and I promise the electorate that I will unambiguously support philosophy "X" if elected, and I am then elected, then I can correctly claim that I have a mandate from the electorate to support "X". That last qualifier is critically important since it is generally safe to assume that I was handed that "mandate" from the electorate based on the electorate's belief that I was going to keep my word. Are you still with me?

For example, imagine that I campaign for local office on the platform that I will push for light rail. The voters support this idea, therefore I am elected. At which point, I shaft them entirely and come out opposing light rail vehemently upon taking office. Can I still claim to have a "mandate" from the voters? Of course not -- don't be stupid.

That "mandate" was given to me under the assumption that I would keep my word. Once I break it, any claim to a "mandate" vanishes like one of Stephen Harper's farts in a windstorm. I'm still in office and there's no way that can be undone, of course, but a claim to a "mandate" is no longer accurate. As I said before, mandates do not exist in a vacuum -- they are inextricably linked to one's promises and how well one keeps those promises.

Which is why any claim to a "mandate" by Stephen Harper is utter crap.

In the run-up to the last election, Harper clearly and unmistakably promised to co-operate with the opposition, and to govern in a spirit of non-partisanship for the good of the country. As we have seen, that was a hideous, bald-faced lie and the instant it became obvious, any claim to a mandate disappeared.

So please, wankers, can you put a fucking sock in it with respect to this vaunted "mandate?" The instant post-election Harper dropped the mask and turned into a petty, vengeful, vindictive asshole is when any claim to a "mandate" went away. Voters handed a mandate to a man who promised to govern wisely and responsibly, and who would play nicely with others. They didn't give it to the loathsome buttfuck Harper turned into as soon as the election was over. So please take all your sanctimonious whining about a "mandate" and stick it where only Richard Evans is interested in poking around.

Do we understand one another?

7 comments:

thwap said...

You know that the BT's aren't going to put a sock in anything.

Just keep documenting their dumbassitude. It's helpful to know how empty and nauseating Harper's base is.

WV is kinda cute! "crumpect"

philosoraptor said...

If I can preempt their response, it will be something along the lines of: "But we didn't give Dion a mandate to join with the NDP or the separatists!!!111!!eleven!![lim(x->0)(sinx/x)]"

Not that I care what they say anymore, I'm just sayin's all.

Robert G. Harvie, Q.C. said...

Well.. I'm a BT.. and, basically, I agree 100%. A Minority election is, at least from this BT'er, a mandate to govern to all extents possible by concensus. If the opposition didn't reciprocate in being cooperative, well, you'd have the moral high ground.. no moral high ground here for our PM.

Mark Richard Francis said...

As we elect Parliament, not government, the mandate is possessed by Parliament. As parliament works on a majority basis, the mandate really is what a majority of parliament says it is. As we believe in representative, responsible government, the mandate of Parliament is what a majority of Parliament says it is. A government without the confidence of the House has no mandate.

In a Parliament where no majority government exists, the electorate, by voting that way, expect the mandate to be determined through negotiation until a majority opinion is held.

Harper is arguing as if he has a majority. He doesn't.

But that doesn't matter to him. This is all about PR and saving his ass.

MgS said...

That mandate is large and solid only in Harper's fantasy life...like other parts of him I suspect.

Chimera said...

What Mark said. I wish I had something I could add to that, but it's already as succinct as it needs to be.

Partisan Hobo said...

Lowest voter turnout in Canadian history. That's hardly a mandate to brag about. A minority government is, by definition, not a mandate. A minority government means that more people voted against you than voted for you. Well put!