Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Dude, it's WAY too late to lock THAT barn door.


Public restroom aficionado and GOP Senator Larry Craig is having major second thoughts about that guilty plea (emphasis added):

The airport incident occurred June 11. Craig signed his plea papers on Aug. 1, and word of the events surfaced Monday. The senator issued a statement Monday night that said, "In hindsight, I should have pled not guilty."

He repeated that assertion at the Idaho news conference. "In June, I overreacted and made a poor decision," he said. "I chose to plead guilty to a lesser charge in hopes of making it go away."

Sadly for Larry, his plea doesn't give the opportunity for a mulligan:

4. I understand that the court will not accept a plea of guilty from anyone who claims to be innocent.

5. I now make no claim that I am innocent of the charge to which I am entering a guilty plea.

Yeah, the law's kind of tricky that way. You'd think a sitting U.S. Senator would know that.

2 comments:

The Seer said...

If I were the prosecutor, I'd let him withdraw his plea. Then we'd have a trial. In front of a jury.

CC said...

That would be amusing, since wouldn't the prosecution be able to use his confession and prior guilty plea against him?

Even if the state let him start over and plead "Not guilty," it's too late -- his post-Miranda guilty plea is now part of the public record and everyone knows it.

What's the defense going to do? Object that all that is now inadmissible? Good luck with that.