Sunday, December 09, 2007

Gabriela Is My Hero



This is Rodrigo y Gabriela and they play some guitar. One of my friends sent me a link to one of the bootleg concert clips floating around on youtube. As a guitar player, all I can say is, holy crap. Gabriela's right hand technique is astonishing. If it wasn't for the viral marketplace of the moment, players of this caliber would be labouring in obscurity, local sensations and no more. Radio won't be picking them up. And with the consolidation of media into a handful of massive cartels, unique artists like Rodrigo y Gabriela will not have access to the larger market place through any means other than the passionate advocacy of their fans online.

Sadly their disk is distributed through Sony (villains) but I love these guys so I'm ordering the album.

In Jim Prentice's possible future I would never have come across these guys. And now I share them with you.

3 comments:

KEvron said...

"Radio won't be picking them up"

actually, they're in regular rotation on kfog.

then again, sf is something of an anomaly....

KEvron

Lindsay Stewart said...

thanks kevron, there will always (i hope) be pockets of resistance. allow me to amend my blanket statement, mass market, commercial radio likely won't be picking them up.

Ian said...

Sorry PSA, but the larger marketplace have already lionized these guys. Major articlea in Rolling Stone, etc. Major TV exposure (including playing Leno - the clip is right at the top of their website that you linked to). #1 on the Irish pop charts earlier this year. Slots on several major festivals this summer (Bonoroo, etc)....

Your hypoerbole about their struggle with obscurity notwithstanding though, they are indeed pretty great. Thanks for the clip.