I realize this is beating a a dead horse -- well, actually, it's more like getting a shovel out of the garage and going out to the backyard and digging up the putrifying corpse, then taking a few good whacks at it -- but the National Post's resident shrieking wingnut Father Raymond De Souza irritates me so much, I just want to feed his idiotic, Catholic whining through the woodchipper one more time.
As you might have read here recently, De Souza seems to think that the existence of same-sex marriage in Canada represents a significant curtailing of religious "liberty." To which one can justifiably respond, OK, let's enumerate precisely the ways that Canadian SSM puts a crimp in the good father's homophobic, bigoted lifestyle, shall we?
- Is De Souza or anyone else from the Catholic Church required to perform SSMs within the religious context of the Church? No.
- Is De Souza required to publicly condone SSMs? No.
- Is De Souza or anyone else from his annoying religion required to ever attend a same-sex marriage? No.
- Is De Souza required, in any way, shape or form, forced to ever associate with gays within the context of his Church? No.
- Does SSM in Canada force De Souza (or any other Catholic) to, in any way, restructure their religious freedom or, in any way, curtail their "liberty" to worship their vengeful, misogynistic, baby-killing God? No.
So what exactly has De Souza's robe in a knot? Oh, right -- the fact that, if you accept a position as a civil marriage commissioner, you're simply expected to do your freakin' job. You know, according to the actual job description.
Yes, one can certainly sympathize with De Souza's heart-rending persecution here. It's hard to imagine how he even handles the emotional trauma. By George, one suspects that, given the level of grief, he might need an altar boy or two just to put a smile back on his face.