Tuesday, October 03, 2006

You link to it, you OWN it. Deal with it.


I really do have a shitload of work to do today so I'm going to make one more post, then bury myself back into writing some Linux device drivers, which means if you interrupt me, I am going to be some kind of miffed, and you seriously do not want to see me when I'm miffed, capische?

Back here, we have a thoroughly exciting comments section going, where "Strong Conservative" Jonathan Strong finally just plain pisses me off when he writes:

Miscommunication, I didn't personally link Condit stuff, I was just linking Gateway, that was my intent.

I don't give a fuck what your intent was. I am thoroughly tired of people who link elsewhere, get called on what they linked to, then throw up their hands with, "Hey, I didn't write that, I was just linking to it," as if that absolves them of any and all responsibility. I don't think anyone has put it as well as Glenn Greenwald in his sixth update here:

Tiger Hawk claims that the other Reynolds -- Glenn -- merely linked to, but did not endorse, Hinderaker's reprehensible argument, an excuse which Reynolds quickly embraces. Are there really still people left who don't understand that Reynolds links to extremist arguments all the time in order blatantly to promote them, only to then claim that he "only linked to it, not endorsed it" once the argument gets exposed, as it so often does, as deceitful, inaccurate or hateful garbage? As Robert Farely said just yesterday when pointing out the utter incoherence in a Victor Davis Hanson article promoted by Reynolds: "I swear to you, the first person to write 'but Reynolds just linked; he didn't say that he approved of Hanson' in comments gets permanently banned.'"

If you knowingly promote an argument like Hinderaker's -- which disgustingly asserts that it was to be expected that Foley harassed underage pages because he's gay -- then it is incumbant to make your objections clear (as Tiger Hawk did when linking to my post, or I did when linking to Hinderaker's). Otherwise, it amounts to: "Hey, I just linked without comment to that white supremacist article, knowingly sending tens of thousands of readers to read it, but I wasn't endorsing it." That is Reynolds' modus operandi, and virtually everyone has caught on.

Once and for all, Jonathan, did you catch that? I mean, really, did you catch that? If you link to someone else's article in any kind of supportive and unqualified way, then you fucking own that article, lock, stock and barrel. All of it.

So grow the fuck up and stop being such an infantile whiner. If you have a case, make it. If you can use your own words, terrific. But if you choose to link elsewhere, then that stuff becomes your problem as well. If you can't handle that, then I suggest you find a less dangerous avocation than blogging. Because you just don't seem prepared for it.

7 comments:

Strong Conservative said...

I think you have anger management issues.

CC said...

And yet, here you are. Go figure.

Strong Conservative said...

Dude, lets take a deep breath and relax.

We're debating an issue, I'm enjoying the debate. Its not worth getting all worked up over.

Peter Rempel said...

"I really do have a shitload of work to do today so I'm going to make one more post, then bury myself back into writing some Linux device drivers, which means if you interrupt me, I am going to be some kind of miffed, and you seriously do not want to see me when I'm miffed, capische?"

Hee hee, you're so cute when you get angry.

M@ said...

SC: "[blah blah blah]"
CC: "You're full of shit and I'm sick of it."
SC, PR: "Hah! He's angry! Our stupid and ignorant points of view must actually hold water!!! OMG LOLz!!!!1!"

Master debaters, both of you.

¢rÄbG®äŠŠ said...

I'm going to try to be nicer from now on.

That said, Republicans are Satan.

Peter Rempel said...

It's just of kind cute, that's all. Dorky linux boy making himself out to be something like the Incredible Hulk.