Wednesday, August 30, 2023

The joy of adjectives from the Right.

A recent comment prompted me to write a post I've been putting off, so here it is -- has anyone else noticed the torrent of ridiculous adjectives from the right wing being applied to anyone who is even minimally left of centre? It's never "the left" or even the inappropriately capitalized "the Left" ... no, it's invariably the "radical Left", the "militant Left", the "extreme Left" and so on. You know what I'm talking about.

Canada's own Rebel News is particularly loathsome when it comes to shit like this. One does not read about, say, progressive or left-wing protesters; no, it's always "violent Antifa thugs", "thugs" being one of Der Rebel's favourite descriptors. One need only search to see what I mean:


The most recent (and hilarious) example comes courtesy of some right-wing grifter named Nick Sortor who, when confronted by a native Hawaiian about why he was monetizing the recent wildfire tragedy and sucking up valuable resources, well, you can see where I'm going with this:



I guess we should be grateful Sortor didn't use the word "thug."

IRONICALLY, no one at Rebel News has ever described this guy as a "crazed, right-wing thug":


I'm sure it's just an oversight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From a quick bingo search it looks like the phrase "crazed leftist" gets used quite a bit, though maybe just Sortor has added "stalker" to that.

Funny, his "stalker" does not appear to be crazed or a stalker though possibly is leftish for an American; he apparently is not native to Maui but has lived there several years. @Mauiswingtrader is still discussing the fire, since there is a question of whether the power company accidentally started it.

The company says its power lines did start a fire in the morning which was put out but the power was turned off six hours before the afternoon fire started.

Another reasonable-seeming non-crazed Hawaii based tweeter @ToriBarron13 suggests the morning fire was not completely put out and the wind made it flare up again in the afternoon. This seems possible to me - it happens in our boreal forest. She also points out the area was quite dry and the town was mostly built of wood.

I find the reality-based theorizing so much more interesting than Sortor and his ilk coming up with ridiculous conspiracy theories out of laziness and ignorance of local conditions that people like @Mauiswingtrader and @ToriBarron13 have to waste time debunking. Such as claiming that 2000 children are missing because 2000 have not yet been registered at new schools. No, 388 people of all ages are officially missing, and that number seems likely to decrease. 115 are confirmed dead. See https://mauinow.com/ for updates.

ValJ

Purple library guy said...

I myself find this quite aggravating. I mean, I am an ACTUAL radical leftist--I think the people should own the means of production and all that jazz. And it just rots my socks when I see these right wing morons calling bloody Liberals "radical left" and "Communist" and shit. These dorks have no freaking clue what "left" or "leftist" even mean.