Sunday, December 23, 2007

It's a stupidfest.


Looks like Mitt Romney, the Ken-doll of candidates, is trying to give the Huckster a run for his money in the vaunted “Who’s the Dumbest Republican” category.

First a little background. When Romney gave his not-so-anticipated yet anti-climactic “Faith in America” address on December 6th, he said:

“I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.”

He then repeated this claim last Sunday when he appeared on Meet the Press with mouthpiece Timmeh Russert.

Seems pretty straightforward, right? Just one of those feel-good, special interest stories. Except for one tiny little problem. It never happened.

In the interest of full disclosure, Dr. King did indeed march in Detroit in June of 1963, but Romney’s father, who was governor of Michigan at the time, was not present. According to reports, Gov. Romney led a later Detroit march but Dr. King was not present.

And here’s the kicker ... even if the two men had marched together, it would’ve been impossible for Ken-doll Mitt to have “seen” it. Seems he was on a two-year mission for the Mormon church in Le Havre, France; which, as you know, is pretty far away from Detroit.

For those of you keeping score at home, let’s recap. The Ken-doll’s father didn’t march with Dr. King, the Ken-doll didn’t actually see the march that never happened so basically, the Ken-doll is a big fat liar.

But it gets better. CBS News gave the Ken-doll a chance to clarify his remarks (emphasis all mine):

CBS News: “Did you actually see — with your own eyes — your father marching with Martin Luther King?”

Romney: “My own eyes? You know, I speak in the sense of I saw my dad become president of American Motors. I wasn’t actually there when he became president of American Motors, but I saw him in the figurative sense of he marched with Martin Luther King. My brother also remembers him marching with Martin Luther King and so in that sense I saw him march with Martin Luther King.”

Later he said, “I can’t even give you the time frame. I just remember that we talked about it. My brother also remembers my dad having spoken about the fact that he did not do political events on Sunday but that he decided at the last minute that he was going to break that self-imposed rule and participate and I think he did so on a Sunday as I recall.”

He added, “You know, I’m an English literature major as well. When we say, ‘I saw the Patriots win the World Series, it doesn’t necessarily mean you were there — excuse me, the Super Bowl. I saw my dad become president of American Motors. Did that mean you were there for the ceremony? No, it’s a figure of speech.”

That is some outstanding logic. If by outstanding, I actually mean absolutely pathetic. Can’t you just picture his handlers off to the side in full-blown hissy fit, waving their arms while mouthing “Shut up. Just shut up!”

This is gonna be fun.

4 comments:

LuLu said...

And even weirder - this is the fact sheet from Romney's official web site. They're still spinning the whole issue.

Red Tory said...

His parsing of the word "seen" made Clinton look like a piker.

Ti-Guy said...

Anyone who's compelled to revere the Book of Mormon is capable of believing and saying anything.

E in MD said...

And so it came to pass that Mitt Romney was kicked to the curb. Because despite the fact that he played the religious card he was in fact too stupid to know when to shut the fuck up.

And thus the crossdressing liar and the guy give the name of a baseball glove were stricken from the race for the Emperor of America.

And lo did the right wing back the other wingnut Huckabee. For they believed that only he could face the wrath of the woman Clinton and survive.