Tuesday, June 07, 2005

More academic bias nonsense south of the border.


You know, I really don't know what to make of this, it's just so freakin' depressing:

Concerned that public schools are becoming sites of liberal indoctrination, activists have generated a wave of efforts to limit what teachers may discuss and to bring more conservative views into the classroom.

After all, they say, if related campaigns can help rein in doctrinaire faculty on college campuses, why not in K-12 education as well?

Oh, Jesus, it's not as if these dipsticks haven't fabricated enough crap about a non-existent pro-liberal bias at the college level, now they want to bring it into the high school.

You liberals might want to take a deep breath -- I think you have a nasty scrap ahead of you. We'll be writing more on this, I'm pretty sure.

FURTHER THOUGHTS: The article linked to above contains so much screaming lunacy, I could easily fill a week's worth of posts from it alone, but let's just pick on one example of mind-numbing stupidity, shall we? First, we have this, as a quick refresher:

Concerned that public schools are becoming sites of liberal indoctrination, activists have generated a wave of efforts to limit what teachers may discuss and to bring more conservative views into the classroom.

After all, they say, if related campaigns can help rein in doctrinaire faculty on college campuses, why not in K-12 education as well?

So, as we read it, the residents of Wankerville are clearly distressed that all that nasty, pro-liberal, anti-wingnut bias will filter down from the colleges and pollute the precious bodily fluids of high school students. And what kind of pernicious indoctrination might we find already in our public schools? Why, lookee here:

Tyler Whitney, a junior at East Lansing High School in Michigan, says teachers and administrators let him circulate his newspaper, The Right Way, only after a public protest this spring and coverage of the standoff in the local news.

Principal Paula Steele says the school permitted distribution of The Right Way as soon as editors deleted submissions by college students, because "we do not want to be a forum for outside speakers." Ideology, she says, was never a factor.

So ... to combat the evil forces of liberalism trickling down from the colleges, Mr. Whitney's solution is to try to distribute a high school paper containing (oh irony, delicious irony) conservative propaganda written by (you guessed it) college students.

You know, I just couldn't make up something this hypocritical without my meds. Is this just delightful or what? I'm pretty sure Mr. Whitney has a stellar career ahead of him writing for these guys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a new job! You can now call me Professor Progressive Paul, although I prefer the gender-neutral term Professym.

When University of Western Ontario representatives asked me to come down for an interview Friday so they could go over my credentials and qualifications, I had to decline. As I explained to them, I like to spend my Fridays burning American flags, pissing on the graves of 9/11 victims, and wiping my ass with the Bible. But when they realized what a staunch defender of Free Speech I was, they agreed to dispense with the formalities and simply hire me on the spot.

Things are looking up! However when I visited UWO yesterday, I was shocked at the lack of diveristy on campus. I spent the whole day touring there and I never saw one transgendered albino midget! Where is the diversity on campuses these days?


Professym Progressive Paul

Cathie from Canada said...

Oops -- Professor and Dr Diversity both got hired at Queens last week, PPP.
Actually, CC, I have to say I think this may not be a battle that the progressive blogs can fight right now. If Canadians elect nutcases to their school boards, then they deserve the result. At the university level, tenure will likely protect the professors from wingnut stupidity -- at least, I hope so.
Some people cannot fight the wingnuts on their own, like for example sick people, prisoners, Aboriginals, welfare recipients, gay people, disabled people, etc, and this may be where we have to focus right now.