Friday, January 16, 2009

Hypothetically, the rules have changed.


Once upon a time, there was this:

MS. PERINO: And I don't think that speculating on a wildly hypothetical situation at this time is appropriate... I'm not commenting on a hypothetical situation... It is a hypothetical situation. I'm never even brought it up with him.

And this:

MS. PERINO: That is -- it's a hypothetical situation, Helen. I'm not going to answer it.

And this:

MS. PERINO: I think that that's way premature and hypothetical and speculative and nothing that I would comment on.

Suddenly, however, hypotheticals are back on the menu:

HOLDER: I think your hypothetical assumes a premise that I’m not willing to concede.

CORNYN: I know you don’t like my hypothetical.

HOLDER: No, the hypothetical’s fine; the premise that underlies it I’m not willing to accept, and that is that waterboarding is the only way that I could get that information from those people.

CORNYN: Assume that it was.

Absurd hypotheticals: Because they're just fine when Republicans are asking them.

No comments: