Wednesday, December 13, 2006

This is starting to be an ugly trend.


Once is a coincidence, twice is a pattern (all emphasis added)

December, 2006:

Asked for clarification in the Commons on Tuesday, [Rona] Ambrose said no money is owed under the climate treaty.

"I can confirm again what I said at committee that was accurate," Ambrose said.

"Canada has met all of our obligations. All of our mandatory obligations under the Kyoto protocol were paid up in full. I have the United Nations document here to prove it if the Speaker would like me to table it."

It's not clear what document she was referring to.

October, 2006:

I have in front of me a list of at least $100 million of money that was used to purchase international credits,” Ambrose said in what appeared to be a prepared response to a fellow Conservative MP’s question.

She then recited a number of overseas projects and their dollar values.

“For 13 years … this was the only plan, to buy international credits,” Ambrose told the committee.

However, when Sun Media initially asked for the project list cited by the minister, the story began to change.

February, 1950:

I have here in my hand a list of 205 . . . a list of names that were made known to the Secretary of State as being members of the Communist Party and who nevertheless are still working and shaping policy in the State Department. . . .

Dear Rona: If I were you, I'd be looking for a better role model. Seriously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never been too enthusiastic about Kyoto - but not because I'm a climate change skeptic. I'm doubtful of Kyoto's value because it's spirit and meaning can be twisted in precisely this sort of way, while signatory governments pat themselves on the back for their participation. We need a treaty with teeth, and Kyoto, at least in its current form, isn't it.