Monday, July 10, 2023

Chronicles of Twatrick: Keeping track.

Nothing substantial to report on Lloydminster's favourite undischarged bankrupt and debtor Patrick Ross:




other than some interesting rumours that Patrick is currently squatting at his (late) father Ken's residence, and has been seen driving Ken's truck. This seems odd as one had previously heard that Patrick had his own set of wheels, but perhaps those rumours were mistaken. In any event, as I requested last time, I very much want any reports on where Patrick is seen, and what he's driving, and if he is living in the Lloydminster residence, and how he's paying for shit, and so on.

There are also reports that process servers are showing up at that residence, whereupon Patrick is refusing to answer the door. I have no idea what that is about as I am not personally trying to serve him with anything; perhaps it is the Saskatchewan sheriffs who are now aware of where he is staying. Other than that, it's unclear who's after him now.

In any event, if anyone runs across Patrick either in the Lloyd or elsewhere, I can be informed appropriately either via the comments section or at "canadiancynic@yahoo.ca".

BONUS TRACK: A couple people have asked privately whether Ken Ross could bequeath the entire Lloyd property to Patrick, at which time Patrick could claim a debtor exemption for the house as his "primary residence." I've looked into this, and the answer from all quarters would seem to be "no," for the fairly obvious reason in that that would be a terrifically convenient way to protect valuable property from seizure -- just handing it over to someone who does not own a home, then immediately reclassifying it as that person's new primary residence.

If there are any lawyery types out there who want to weigh in on this, that would be fine. It also seems like, if Patrick was bequeathed the entire residence (while his siblings got equivalent cash awards), as Patrick is still a bankrupt, he would have to declare that inheritance as "after-acquired assets," although as I am not a part of Patrick's bankruptcy anymore, I'm not sure how that would affect me.

On the other hand, if the plan was to put the house on the market, sell it and split the proceeds amongst the children, I suspect I might be able to contest that and hold up the sale until I was guaranteed my share of the proceeds. But I am not a lawyer, so others are invited to opine on all of this.

MORE BONUS TRACK: A cursory check suggests that there is no way that Patrick could inherit the entire residence, as the rule for property exemption in Saskatchewan is that your share in the principal residence can be at most $50,000, and it's clear that that house is worth considerably more than that. So there's no way Patrick could inherit all by himself.

Also, as I read it, that exemption applies to one's principal residence, so it would not be possible for the four siblings to "share" the residence unless they all decided to live there; that is, it was the principal residence for all of them, and I don't see that happening.

I will keep you posted, as I have top men looking into this.

Top men.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"There are also reports that process servers are showing up..."

Given Ross's attitude to paying his debts, it seems perfectly likely that process servers for other creditors are also looking for him.

CC said...

Anon @ 5:37 PM: If anyone out there is actually trying to serve Patrick Ross and wants to tell me about it (privately is just fine), I will -- if the situation warrants -- share it only with my lawyers and the Saskatchewan sheriffs. I think there is some value in knowing who else is after Patrick and why, as we might be able to collaborate.

Anonymous said...

Ken's truck is probably nicer than Twatsy's. The Twatster is treating himself to an upgrade.

CC said...

Anon @ 12:12 PM: Doesn't quite work that way, as SK exemptions allow you one motor vehicle up to a value of $10,000, so if Ken's truck is worth considerably more, he can't take it. Or, at the very least, he would have to personally cover the difference.

MgS said...

Even if the house were to be bequeathed to Patrick, there’s the ongoing problem for him of maintenance and operation - houses cost money to own and occupy - and utility companies aren’t going to be overly thrilled with letting someone rack up debts on the utilities … and taxes …

CC said...

MgS: I don't see how Patrick can inherit the entire Lloydminster property no matter what. First, he would suddenly have all that "after-acquired asset", and I have no idea how he would square that with the OSB, but you can bet I would let the OSB know about it.

Also, depending on the value of the entire estate, giving the house free and clear to Patrick would probably not sit well with the siblings, whose opinion of Patrick is most likely someone who is the architect of his own situation, and why the fuck should he be *rewarded* for his decade of stupidity and irresponsibility?

And in terms of paying bills for the house, I suppose Ken could leave Patrick an additional pile of cash to keep things going for a while, but that would probably piss off the siblings even *more* as they see their inheritance going to a petulant, childish dumbass who screwed up his life that badly.

Before I leave for Europe again on Friday, I will be ordering copies of the wills for both of Patrick's late parents; with any luck, we will be able to follow the money.