Thursday, November 23, 2006

The 2006 CBA Awards: What the f...?


And at the risk of this sounding like sour grapes (which it really isn't), while everyone is basking in the glow of the first round of voting over at Robert McClelland's 2006 CBA Awards, I'm going to drop a metaphorical turd in the punch bowl by asking, in my best bewildered Stewie Griffin, "What the hell, man?"

Quite simply, I need someone to explain to me how the blog "Raymi the Minx" ended up an absolutely runaway leader in the categories of "Best Blog" and "Best Personal Blog" and was second only to Rick Mercer in the "Best Humour Blog." Actually, never mind -- I know how stuff like this happens. Forget I asked.

Sorry, Robert, but, if this is where the CBA Awards are going, you need to rethink this whole thing in a big way. When countless, truly worthwhile Canadian blogs can get trounced by someone who blogs in utterly vacuous, 12-year-old Valleyspeak, you have a real problem.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, that particular aberration caused my eyebrows to arch a little.

I was disappointed that some others, including yours, didn't place a lot higher...

But, it's an open vote. It's also a volunteer effort on Robert's part, so it's a tough one to get around.

I suppose if Raymi the Minx, discussing giving a blowjob to a smelt, is able to round up the votes, she's entitled to her place on the basis of a campaign... sort of like a few political parties we all know.

Rosie said...

I'd never even heard of that blog before. I voted for you :) I had considered going to the computer lab at work and voting from each computer, but I thought that that would be cheating. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I commend Robert's and (I imagine) others efforts, but agree that the "results" relieve the initiative of much credibility. Noble in concept and execution, but the result is wanting.

Perhaps the voting should be for a PANEL of "experts" who would review blogs on a variety of criteria - for example - traffic, comments, design, relevance, timeliness, etc. (in no particular order) and announce the winners. Maybe even get some household names involved and get the initiative some legs in the press.

As a marketing director and blog aficionado, let me be the first to submit my name for consideration of a panel position.

S

Lindsay Stewart said...

you know the answer cc. show us yer teats. watch the votes roll in.

catnip said...

I hadn't read that blog either until yesterday. I suppose it's all about how many of your friends you can get to vote for you and this geezer knows that the younguns are much more into that 'social networking' thing than some of us fogies.

Maybe he should consider a Best Political Blog category as well. I don't have a problem with her blog ending up in the number one spot since it is, after all, the Canadian Blog Awards but I wouldn't consider hers one of the best based on her content.

Anonymous said...

Yahbut, dude, her blog has breasts. I mean, what have you done for use lately?

catnip said...

I don't really want to see CC's boobs. Do you?

I'm just sayin'...

Lindsay Stewart said...

come on catnip. i've met cc and i can assure you he's packing a canada grade-a no. 1, gym ripened manly bosom. we're not talking hugh hewitt pointy cups here. ooh, i just creeped myself out.

CC said...

Dude, you just creeped me out.

catnip said...

Bring 'em on then! :)