(Two things to cover today, the second being the more interesting of the two.)
First, I still have no word that Patrick has filed his mandatory Response Affidavit to my Rule 4.33 Application and, at this point, I plan to argue that it is out of time and should not be accepted by the Court, for a couple reasons.
First, the defense against a Rule 4.33 Application hinges on two very simple questions:
- Have you (the Plaintiff) made any significant advancement in your case over the last three years and, if not,
- Is there a formal, signed agreement or court order allowing the suspension of the action?
That's it, there's nothing more to argue and, in this case, the answer to both questions is a resounding "Hell, no." But there's one more observation related to this that really puts the hob-nailed boots to Patrick's joy department.
Any defense against a Rule 4.33 Application can refer only to events prior to when the Application was filed; in this case, back on July 15. This means that there is nothing that has happened since then that Patrick can incorporate into his defense, such as my blog posts since July 15. This means that he can't use as an excuse for all this delay that he's been examining stuff that happened after July 15, so there's no plausible excuse for this taking almost a month; a Rule 4.33 defense is simple and straightforward and its Affidavit does not require a month to craft. But here's the more interesting point.
As I have mentioned before, if one's lawsuit is dismissed due to Rule 4.33 (or one drops such a lawsuit just to avoid the embarrassment of losing in court), the Court takes a dim view of the Plaintiff simply turning around and refiling the same action all over again in an effort to restart the clock.
For example, here's Google AI making it clear that a Plaintiff refiling the same action after discontinuing the lawsuit just to get another three years could constitute "abuse of process,"
and it's only logical that if a Plaintiff loses in court, refiling the same action could represent exactly the same abuse of process. And what does all that have to do with Patrick? I'm glad you asked since here's another snippet from Patrick's spectacularly unwise letter of July 18:
Make sure you understand what Patrick is saying in the above: Patrick is promising that, if I win this Application on August 20, he will -- the very next day -- simply refile his lawsuit "that will feature the claims made against [me] now".
Take your time to truly absorb the thigh-sucking stupidity of someone who, in writing, vows to do something that the Rules of Civil Procedure openly describe as being a possible abuse of process. Revel in the cluelessness of someone who promises to do exactly what the Rules warn against. It is ... mind-boggling.
In any event, only eight days left for Patrick to try something stunningly irrelevant that will almost certainly piss off the Court. All we can do is wait.
IT'S A PUZZLER: Perhaps Patrick's most baffling claim in the above is to refer to "the numerous defamatory statements your client has published since the filing of that action,..."
Um ... wut? My Application was filed on July 15 (less than a month ago), and I'm fairly confident that I have blogged little more than a running commentary of its progress, so I'm not sure how any of that constitutes defamation. If anyone wants to go back and examine my blog posts since July 15, they're invited to identify anything allegedly defamatory.
BONUS TRACK: To follow up on one commenter's note, what if Patrick drops his lawsuit before the 20th? Or what if he does not drop it but simply does not attend? In either case, that would end incredibly badly for Patrick since he has already assured me, in writing, that he plans on being there, as can be seen in this exceedingly unwise assurance from his aforementioned letter of July 18:
The context of the above is that Patrick just finished making a ridiculous offer, and, well, you can read the rest, specifically, "I will defeat your client's application on August 20, ...". That is an unmistakable assurance that he will be there, and if he doesn't show, well, that bogus assurance will be placed before the judge.
In trying to establish some sort of arrogant alpha dominance over these proceedings, Patrick has made some stunningly imprudent claims and promises, all of which have the potential to come back and bite him in his prodigious ass.


6 comments:
Patrick Ross is to Canadian jurisprudence what O.J. Simpson was to marital bliss.
If Patrick drops his lawsuit against you before August 20, that would be disappointing for everyone who wanted to attend the hearing by Webex, but it sounds like that would be the best outcome for you. With only 8 days to go before the hearing, that sounds like pretty obvious abuse of process to suddenly drop it now.
Anon @ 6:23 AM: As much as I would love to humiliate Patrick in public as much as possible (and it *will* be a humiliating experience for him at that hearing), you are correct in that Patrick dropping the lawsuit now would be disastrous for him, as I would win my Application by default, I could argue for a massive costs award and I could also ask for an order from the Court that Patrick not be allowed to refile his stupid lawsuit due to abuse of process. The worst thing Patrick could do is not drop the lawsuit, but just not show up on August 20, especially
Regardless of whether or not Patrick shows up, I will be asking for other stuff that I'm not going to mention at the moment.
We have come to the cross roads of WWE and home schooling word comprehension.
"harassing behaviour" - I see Patrick thinks that regular reminders that he owes you well north of $100K constitutes harassment. Wait until he learns what collections agents do once they find your contact information ...
Anon @ 10:46 AM: Patrick also thinks that just having the occasional person drive by his residence in Lloydminster is harassment, even though he was told by various people that that is perfectly legal as long as there is no violation of privacy. As you say, in Patrick's diseased brain, "harassment" appears to include my trying to track him down to collect what he owes me. I really hope he tries that argument in court next week.
Post a Comment