Wednesday, August 03, 2005

What IS it with all these bogus referring URLs?


Ever since I can remember since I started this blog, I would occasionally (via sitemeter) get a flurry of hits whose "Referring URLs" were clearly not linking to me in any meaningful way. It didn't happen often so I just ignored it.

But lately it's gotten noticeably worse. Just now, I got at least a couple of dozen of these, every single one from another "blogspot.com" domain name. What's up with this? What does it represent? And is there any way to avoid it? (I'm suspecting the answer to that last question is no.)

Thoughts?

7 comments:

Jay McHue said...

It's very simple, CC. See the blue bar on the top of your main page? Look to the right on it. See that little button that says "Next Blog?" Click on it. Gosh! Look at that! It takes you to another Blogger blog. Now, put two and two together. Try hard. Scrunch up your face really good. That might help. Let us know when you figure it out.

Jon Dursi said...

The ones from blogspot.com are almost certainly people clicking on the `next blog' link on the top bar of another blogger blog. It cycles you through blogger blogs that have been recently updated. Do you get a flurry of these things just after you've updated your blog (new post, edited template,...)?

Jon Dursi said...

Ha, ha, CC! Your trolls are more dedicated than mine. How often do you think JMcH presses `reload' on your blog in a day to see if you've written something?

Jay McHue said...

Sorry to burst your bubble, Jonathan, but I just happened to check my referrals today (ironically enough).

CC said...

Yes, Jonathan, he is persistent, isn't he? Sort of like the neighbour's annoying little dog who won't stop humping your leg while you're over there just shooting the breeze.

Oxford County Liberals said...

At least your troll is dedicated enough to send you a reply CC ;)

I think if we held a contest to determine which Progressive Bloggers had the most (persistent and inflammatory) trolls to visit their site, I am guessing it would be a close 1-2 between your blog and Robert at My Blahg.

Glyn (Zaphod) Evans said...

Ooooh Trolls... Trolls are tasty :P