Monday, March 28, 2005

You know, maybe that "shunning" thing is not such a bad idea after all.


Here we go again -- the right-to-life lunatics in the U.S. are once again cranking up their campaign to protect pharmacists who want to refuse to fill prescriptions for birth control pills:

Some pharmacists across the country are refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control and morning-after pills, saying that dispensing the medications violates their personal moral or religious beliefs.

The trend has opened a new front in the nation's battle over reproductive rights, sparking an intense debate over the competing rights of pharmacists to refuse to participate in something they consider repugnant and a woman's right to get medications her doctor has prescribed. It has also triggered pitched political battles in statehouses across the nation as politicians seek to pass laws either to protect pharmacists from being penalized -- or force them to carry out their duties.

A number of bloggers have suggested one way to react is to boycott the offending pharmacies and hit them where it hurts -- in the pocketbook. Oh, come now, you can do better than that. Don't boycott the store; boycott the pharmacist. Find out who these people are and shun them, socially, commercially, in every possible way:

"Gosh, I'm sorry, Mr. Smith, but I can't sell you any gas today. It's against my religious principles to do business with ignorant, closed-minded wingnuts."

"Gee, Mr. Smith, I'd really like to sell you those groceries, but the story policy is that we have the right to refuse service to bone-headed, fundamentalist crackpots."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Smith, but we don't have any seats at the moment. Those empty tables? They're all reserved for people who aren't intolerant, misogynistic cocksuckers. Maybe next week? Buh bye."

And, look, here's a good place to start: Karen L. Brauer, Pharmacists for Life president. Make it your personal challenge to make her life just a bit more miserable. Remember: every little bit helps.

BY THE WAY: Do I really need to point out that there is, in fact, a pharmacist's oath, which reads as follows:

At this time, I vow to devote my professional life to the service of all humankind through the profession of pharmacy.

I will consider the welfare of humanity and relief of human suffering my primary concerns.

I will apply my knowledge, experience, and skills to the best of my ability to assure optimal drug therapy outcomes for the patients I serve.

I will keep abreast of developments and maintain professional competency in my profession of pharmacy.

I will maintain the highest principles of moral, ethical, and legal conduct.

I will embrace and advocate change in the profession of pharmacy that improves patient care.

I take these vows voluntarily with the full realization of the responsibility with which I am entrusted by the public
.

I guess the oath doesn't count if you have your fingers crossed or something.

No comments: