Monday, March 20, 2006

Blogging Tories Short Takes, March 20, 2006.


Shorter Steve Janke: "Hi, the name's Steve. Steve Janke. J - A - N ..."

(More) shorter Steve Janke: "When I grow up, I wanna be like Charles Krauthammer so I can play make-believe doctor, too."

Shorter Arabian dissent: "This is a very deep and philosophical point I'm making here. I only sound like a raving lunatic."

AFTERSNARK: Related to Steve Janke's second article above, it's vitally important to distinguish carefully between "Bush Derangement Syndrome" (a medical condition characterized by chronic, seething and utterly unjustified and indefensible hatred of George W. Bush) and superficially similar conditions such as "Clinton Derangement Syndrome," "Moore Derangement Syndrome" and the more recently-discovered "Clooney Derangement Syndrome," since the former is totally, totally different from all of the latter. Totally.

The condition of Bush Derangement Syndrome (or "BDS") was originally proposed by right-wing pundit and neo-con hack Charles Krauthammer who, given his background in psychiatry, decided there was nothing whatsoever inappropriate or unethical in pointing out his medical degree from Harvard, then "diagnosing" his political opponents as "deluded," "paranoid," "deranged" and, in some cases, just plain "crazy."

BDS has turned out to be a surprisingly convenient vehicle for dismissing any and all criticism of George Bush since, as is now obvious, anyone who disagrees with Bush or his policies is clearly insane and can be dismissed without further discussion.

There have been numerous criticisms of the questionable ethical behaviour of using one's medical credentials to denigrate one's political opponents. Luckily, all such criticisms are simply from crazy people so, no problem.

AND THE VIRUS MUTATES
: I would be remiss if I didn't warn my readers of the latest manifestation of this condition -- "Harper Derangement Syndrome" -- brought to you by, among others, Andrew of "Bound by Gravity" who, having once been somewhat respected by the left side of the blogosphere, seems to have unfortunately turned into a complete asshole.

Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. That's how it works.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way Janke name-drops is really pathetic, and I mean that in the literal sense of the word: I feel pity for someone who feels the need to try to appear more important than he really is.

Even worse was his post a few weeks ago where he basically begged for a job from the Conservative party.

Dave said...

Hmmm... if I had been at a social event with the Chief of Defence Staff, (and I have been in the past, several times), I think I would put up a post that was much more informative. At least it would have had more substance than "I can't tell you what was said."

Thanks CC for reading Janke for us, so we don't have to :)

Cheers