Monday, March 13, 2006

A bit late to the party.


Well, someone is having a massive attack of social conscience:

Over in Britian we have a story that chills me to my bones:

A baby at the centre of a landmark case over whether life support can be withdrawn has an "intolerable life", the High Court has heard.

Baby MB, who cannot be named, has spinal muscular atrophy - a genetic condition which leads to almost total paralysis - and cannot breathe unaided.

Doctors treating the 17-month-old say it is in his best interests to withdraw ventilation and to let him die.

But his family says he has a reasonable quality of life and should stay alive.

They feel he can recognise and respond to them, and that he gains enjoyment from spending time with his family.

You heard that right. A family has to go to court to prevent a doctor from killing their 17-month old son!

Naturally, these sentiments of personal anguish and grief-stricken outrage apply in no way to this case which is totally, totally different for reasons I can't quite put my finger on but give me time, it'll come to me.

No comments: