Saturday, March 11, 2023

Chronicles of Twatrick: Here come da ... civil enforcement bailiff?

Based on some very recent advice, guidance and research, it would appear that it might be way easier to start garnishing the wages of undischarged bankrupt and fugitive from the Saskatchewan Sheriffs Patrick Ross than I had assumed. Apparently, the province of Alberta defines the interesting position of something called a civil enforcement bailiff, whose fundamental purpose in life is, well, you can read it for yourself:




Far more detail can be found in the text of Alberta's "Civil Enforcement Act"; in particular, I draw your attention to Part 8 -- the rules on garnishment. This is particularly relevant since, even though I have a garnishment order against Patrick in Saskatchewan, it is not enforceable across provincial boundaries, but it would seem that fixing that oversight will be much cheaper and easier than I thought, given that my 2010 judgment for malicious defamation is already registered in Alberta, so there's very little to do but retain the services of one of these people and turn them loose to serve a garnishment order on Patrick's employer, something that could conceivably happen this week if I put my mind to it.

Note well that all of the above is entirely independent of Patrick's upcoming legal obligation to fill out and return the Saskatchewan Sheriffs' mandatory financial questionnaire, so Patrick might want to reserve some time over the next several days to deal with all of this. Because, I can assure him, it's happening.

Yeah, it's happening.

P.S. Note from the above that said bailiffs have the authority to show up and take physical property from the debtor's residence, and it just so happens that I think I can track down where Patrick is living in the vicinity of Grande Prairie. And while names are concealed to protect the innocent, I have it on reasonably good authority that Patrick is renting a single room from an oil patch colleague, "BKS", which suggests that if I time it right and watch for Patrick to unwisely advertise on social media when he is on the road, I can have the bailiffs show up during his absence and strip him bare.

Patrick might want to give his landlord a heads-up about the possibility. That would be the polite thing to do.

AFTERSNARK: I will remind one and all again that, as opposed to Saskatchewan, Alberta is a very debtor-unfriendly province, as you can see by the gruesomely minimal garnishment exemptions in that province:


Quite simply, once garnishment starts, Patrick will be allowed to keep a grand total of $1,600 per month. So say goodbye to all those $21 greaseburgers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can Patrick appeal anything about your filing to garnish his wages in Alberta? Can he file for bankruptcy again?

CC said...

No and no. Patrick long ago failed to appeal the registration of my judgment in Alberta; there is fuck all he can do about that now. And you can't declare bankruptcy while already a bankrupt; even worse, Patrick does not even have a trustee who might be able to help him out.

The final indignity here is that every single thing I need to pay for to register a garnishment order against Patrick's employer will simply be added to what Patrick already owes me. And as soon as the garnishment order is active, I will absolutely insist that the Alberta bailiffs go to where Patrick lives and seize all his material possessions.

No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Anonymous said...

As much as I want you to take Patrick to the cleaners, it's unlikely you can get the bailiffs to immediately go to his place and start taking his stuff. The courts generally give people at least a little time to make things right before physically repossessing stuff.

CC said...

Anon @ 3:24 PM: You would normally be correct, except Patrick already has years of history as a contemptuous, intransigent debtor -- I have more than enough evidence to show that he has no respect for the court so this will make the collection much easier than it would normally be. Given Patrick's history of non-compliance, he's going to get very little sympathy from the legal system.

RossOwesDay said...

I think that TV show Cops needs to be filming in Lloydminster and/or Grande Prairie when Twatsy's beloved pro wrestling belts and Edmonton Oilers merchandise gets repossessed.

Jason said...

Unfriendly to debtors? Sounds like that "personal responsibility" I hear so much about.

I think Patrick is real big on that too, if I remember correctly.