Tuesday, February 07, 2006

So, Harper lied. Or did he?


This Reuters news piece certainly takes the position that Stephen Harper broke two of his campaign promises (emphasis added):

In the run-up to the January 23 national election, Harper had said he would only consider legislators for cabinet posts...

During the election campaign, Harper had promised to stop appointing members to the Senate, and he said senators would be elected.

Obviously, the case of Michael Fortier broke both of those "promises," but is Reuters being a little too pedantic here? Did Harper actually explicitly say those things? Or did he leave himself some wiggle room?

I mean, I may think Stephen Harper is an ignorant, hypocritical, lying sack of crap, but I do try to be fair about these things.

3 comments:

Dave said...

I mean, I may think Stephen Harper is an ignorant, hypocritical, lying sack of crap, but I do try to be fair about these things.

Why's that?

The unofficial motto of my old outfit:
You fight dirty. We fight dirty.

Anonymous said...

Is a lie of omission any different than a lie of outright contradiction?

I'll point out that during the election, the CPC was very careful to muzzle its hardliners, making the obvious impression that the CPC was interested in achieving power, at any price - including the beliefs of some very powerful party factions.

Scotian said...

BCer in To has a post up with a clip from Don Newman's Tueday show showing Harper in French promising explicitly that no unelected member would be in his Cabinet, and I think it also had him promising no Senate patronage appointments. So yes, I'd say the proof is there to claim Harper flat out lied regarding unelected Cabinet members.