Friday, October 07, 2005

The Harriet Miers pop quiz. What's going to happen?


I have to admit, I'm sort of transfixed by the ongoing Harriet Miers debacle, the same way you just can't tear your eyes away from a horrific train wreck.

More and more folks are now suggesting that the only way out of this swamp for the Bush administration is for Miers to (apparently) withdraw her nomination. A week ago, that would have seemed unthinkable. Now ... who knows?

In light of all these breaking developments, I'm throwing out three questions:
  1. Do you think Miers will actually withdraw her nomination? (I'm not even going to quibble about whether it would be her own choice, or whether she would have been convinced behind the scenes. I'm just asking if you think it will happen.)
  2. If she withdraws her nomination, how will this be spun by the administration to not look like a total embarrassment for them?
  3. If the nomination is withdrawn and you were a member of the White House Press Corps, what scathing, insightful question would you have for Press Secretary Scott McClellan in terms of trying to get him to explain what happened?
The floor is open. (I'll have my own thoughts on this later.)

No comments: