Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Chronicles of Twatrick: Into the Wayback Machine!

As one more example of the weirdness of Patrick Ross' currently very dormant 2022 defamation lawsuit against me, I will reproduce nothing more than the first four words of the paragraph opening the third section of his Statement of Claim; the section that purports to document my defamation against him:

"Between 2021 and 2008 ..."

I am not making this up ... Patrick is asking the Court to consider his wildly-embellished claims going all the way back to 2008.

Make of that what you will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what the deadline is, but I think 15 years is a little outside the time limit for suing someone in Alberta for defamation.

MgS said...

Anonymous@8:43AM:

There’s no specific time limit relative to when something was published, but S13 of the Alberta law sets a time frame based on when the complainant becomes aware of it. Since 2008 or so was right smack in the midst of the fight with CC (the one that ended with a default judgement), it’s pretty difficult to believe that he was unaware, and only just became aware in 2023.

If he is including that material by way of “demonstrating a pattern of behaviour”, that might be another matter, but somehow I can’t imagine the courts being overly interested unless the bulk of it can be shown to be defamatory. (Which, since the bulk of it tends to be commentary based on what has happened since 2010’s judgment, I suspect falls under any number of valid defences)