Friday, February 10, 2006

Dear Wayne: Wrong answer.


Apparently, someone's been coaching Wayne Gretzky in terms of how to respond to those recent gambling allegations (emphasis added):

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm still going to coach the Phoenix Coyotes. I've done nothing wrong," Gretzky said in a short statement following the Coyotes' game against Dallas Stars.

Um ... Wayne? Whether or not you've done something "wrong" is not your call to make. What folks want to hear you say is, "I never bet on sports." See? That's something you're entitled to say.

But claiming you didn't do anything "wrong" is way too open-ended and subject to interpretation. And it just doesn't give us the warm fuzzy feeling we're looking for, know what I mean?

I STAND CORRECTED: The first commenter links to a news piece in which Gretsky does, in fact, explicitly deny gambling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi CC -

You are being unfair. Gretzky has specifically stated that he does not bet on sports. Here is a link to a Globe&Mail story -
http://tinyurl.com/a3tcy

Here is the relevant quote -

"If I had ever bet so much as a penny on sports, I would call Bob Nicholson and resign."