Thursday, September 21, 2006

The danger of hasty generalizations.


Well ... this is a novel way of looking at it:

Opposition members are demanding that Prime Minister Stephen Harper explain what he meant when he said during a television interview that the lives lost in Afghanistan may have strengthened the Canadian military.

"This is the first time in some time that Canada's moved to the front lines of a peace-and-security operation, and I think it's really sinking into us all how difficult that is and what that really means," Mr. Harper said during an interview with CBC televised Monday night.

"At the same time, I can tell you it's certainly engaged our military. It's, I think, making them a better military, notwithstanding, or maybe in some way because of, the casualties."

In the same way, I suppose, that killing off a few Conservatives might make them a stronger political party.

I'm sure that analogy breaks down somewhere.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Never ceases to amaze me how much stupidity is coming out of this government.

Olaf said...

The analogy breaks down in the different roles of a political party and a military.

Anonymous said...

I was unaware that the role of the military was to die...

Anonymous said...

Darwin-wise, the deaths make the military stronger pound for pound, right, Stephen?

But I thought you didn't believe in Darwin.