mahigan, over at True North, links to an entertaining piece which proposes a universal shorthand for the "Balbulican Dismissal Chart", or "BUD" for short. This so reminded me of my own wanker's four stages of debate that I decided to ever-so-slightly update the list here. For your edification, the right-wing wanker's five stages of intellectual discourse:
- Unreasoning and uncompromising embrace of utterly nonsensical and indefensible position.
- Subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) redefinition of basic terms to suit the argument.
- Unexpected change of subject or moving of goalposts to desperately avoid impending defeat.
- Sudden admission of error, accompanied by insistence that it's no big deal, why are you taking it all so seriously, like, chill out, man.
- Reappearance one week later, starting all over from step one as if none of the above had ever happened.