Saturday, January 10, 2009

Sweet tap-dancing Jesus.


Just when you think the Blogging Tards Tories and their forum trolls can’t get any stupider, something like this comes along.

How would you define homophobia?

Does it strictly mean a radical stance, where you can't stand the sight of gay people, and fight against their rights?

Or would you also call homophobic being uncomfortable with people revealing their homosexuality?

I ask because I have recently learned that some of my acquaintances from high school have come out of the closet and for some reason, I feel strange about it. I would not avoid them, if I saw them on the street, nor would I call them names, but I do feel differently about them.

Does that make me homophobic? I don't want to attribute that label to myself, but then again, what exactly does this label describe?

Thoughts...?

In the interests of simple human kindness, I will now attempt to explain things to our precious cretin, nathaliejcaron (if that’s really her name).

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, Homophobia is defined as the "irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals". So yes dear, that fact that you find it oh-so terribly icky that some former friends have come out of the closet absolutely proves that you are most definitely and screamingly homophobic. Bravo – your parents, and the Blogging Tards Tory collective must be so proud.

You’re welcome, I’m sure.

It's alllllllll about me.
Poor, poor nathaliejcaron -- shamefully victimized by all the people who wouldn't confide in her.

I do feel like there was a sense of being lied to, but in another way, I shouldn't even care, probably... It's just been bugging me, and I can't quite put my finger on why.

Hmmmmm ... do you think it kind of, sort of, maybe had something to do with the fact that they knew she'd have some excessively juvenile "ew, ew, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" reaction?

Nah, couldn't be.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lulu, in all fairness, I would suggest that most of us are annxious around something new to us. I do not see the opening post of that thread as being all that idiotic a question (I am not aware of any history of the poster either)...

Over the years, I morph'ed from what I would consider today a homophobe, to questioning, to tolerance, to "Hey, beers tonight?". Remembering that at 35, I grew up in a time where Canadian society as a whole was homophobic... Canadian society has matured somewhat in that time.

Will this questioning person do the same?

Given the disgusting posts in that thread, they are not getting the support necessary to cross over from questioning to tolerance. I do not see that forum as supportive at all towards tolerance of anything different.

sooey said...

Alpha Males are generally closet cases. You are right to question your tolerance of homosexuality.

Anonymous said...

sooey, have you been called an idiot yet today? How about a moron? Neanderthal?

How about you just grow up, and leave the grade 6 humour at the door.

Or would you prefer that society moves backwards 20 years to a time when intolerance is the norm and expected?

Red Tory said...

Well, thanks for sharing. That was kind of a peculiar exchange on the BT forum with some obvious and hilariously goofy nonsense involved.

I'd challenge the word "tolerance" as it seems a bit suspect and patronizing to me.

Alpha seems to "get it" and it seems unfair to accuse him of being a "closet case" and the validity of his attitude to this issue.

sooey said...

Well, I just made that up about Alpha Males generally being closet cases. Although Omega Males are generally stoolies.

But I'm just saying, it's always good to question your tolerance of homosexuality in case it turns you into a homosexual.

KEvron said...

"I'd challenge the word 'tolerance' as it seems a bit suspect and patronizing to me."

funny how a word like "tolerance" can lose all its grace in certain hands.

KEvron

Anonymous said...

Aye, tolerance is merely a stepping stone in my dictionary... The ultimate goal is acceptance. We're all pink inside, so who really cares about who is sleeping with whom? It ain't gonna change the price of beer on me, nor will it help the Leafs win the cup.

My stream of thought for curing homophobes is this.

Homophobes get ridicule and scorn.

Questioning get's positive reinforcement and encouragement, which should eventually lead to;

Tolerance, with exposure and more positive reinforcement this should lead to;

Acceptance.

We were all born accepting everyone around us regardless of colour, creed or orientation. None of us at 3 years old could give a rat's ass about who was black, striaght or Christian... It did not matter then.

Beyond that, we become a product of our environment.

Thankfully, we can unlearn prejudices which we learn form our parents and environment, and become better human beingings.

Now, people who wear crocs are a different story!

Ti-Guy said...

He's right about the crocs, Sooey.

Frank Frink said...

Alpha Male, there's nothing that can ever help the Laffs win the cup ;-)

KEvron said...

"Aye, tolerance is merely a stepping stone in my dictionary..."

not everything is about you, smale.

KEvron