Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Dear Stephen Taylor: I can haz non-retarded Blogging Toreez?


To Stephen Taylor, co-founder of Canada's Blogging Tories:

If I might bring this to your attention:

We’re not out of the woods yet folks...

A grim reminder today that we have not fully escaped the possibility of a coalition government seizing control of our government in an ill-conceived, morally dishonest “coup”.

Also, a call to action: We must defend Canadian democratic rights and be prepared to fight the coalition at the grassroots, much like we did when the ridiculous notion first came to light. We cannot allow our parliament to be hijacked by back-room power brokers. We must stay vigilant in our defence, keep the topic on the minds of Canadians, and not forget the people responsible for the idea.

So here's my question, Stephen -- would it be possible for you to educate your BT membership, at least to the extent that there is absolutely nothing illegal, undemocratic, hijacky or what have you about a coalition government? You know, the kind your own Stephen Harper was proposing only four years ago?

Really, Stephen, just a short blog post asking them to not be so shriekingly, mind-meltingly, unspeakably fucking stupid and/or dishonest would be kinda nice. I'm just sayin'.

5 comments:

The Seer said...

I've always felt it's more democratic to let the government be highjacked by a minority of the members of parliament, rather than a majority of them.

wv: tersh (which is what this comment is)

Mike said...

In case it goes down the memory hole, my comment:

"I guess its only hijacking and undemocratic when the Liberals do it, eh? Because when Harper proposes the exact same thing, well thats just fine:

http://www.liberal.ca/story_15511_e.aspx

Right?

“In the US, millions of Americans have cast a vote and elected a black President,
and here in Canada, millions of Canadians cast a vote and elected a Conservative government”

Gosh wilson, where did you learn to count - millions MORE voted for the other parties. We are not the US, we don’t vote for Prime Ministers, we vote for MPs. The MP vote for the government and the PM. The only people in Canada that voted for Stephen Harper were the people of Calgary Southwest.

You may not like it because your favourite team will lose, but there is nothing illegal, undemocratic or unconstitutional about the coalition. It is perfectly acceptable in our parliamentary system and has precedent. So really, you can stop lying about “coups”, “stealing power” and “back room seizures” right now.

“I hope that if we must go into deficit to placate the opposition that they also lead by example and agree to give up their $1.95/per vote and put an end to government funding of political parties. ”

I’m sure they’ll be happy to as soon as the Conservatives agree to give up the tax credit that subsidizes about 80% of your party’s funding. You know, that little law that says if I donate $100 to the CPC, I get $75 back at tax time. Meaning I only pay $25 but the CPC gets $100 - the difference coming from the government. So, any plans?

Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Hypocrites. "

I'm sure wilson will get her panties in a bunch, but I think it was worth it.

wv=cheery

Adam C said...

Well, I'm certainly on-board with Seer. Furthermore, I'm very upset about the idea that our government may be "hijacked by back-room power brokers". I like it much the way it is: Stephen Harper making all of the decisions with the help of his inner circle.

They meet in that back room over there.

Anonymous said...

Where and when did I claim it was illegal. Don't call me stupid when you're obviously incapable of reading.

Anonymous said...

And Mike...

I don't delete stupid comments, I leave them up for the world to see.

thanks!