Thursday, December 04, 2008

Let The Smears Ring Out

So the Conservative strategy is to lie and to smear their way out from under their own failure. Surprised? Me neither. Here's Part 2 of today's campaign to save Steve Harper's ass from his own spectacular hubris.

PARIZEAU ENDORSES COALITION

Parizeau set to get the weak, unstable and disoriented federal government he always dreamed of. Now, more than ever, we must all Stand up for Canada.

It is becoming increasingly clear that Stéphane Dion and Jack Layton have sold out their principles by signing a separatist pact with the Bloc Québécois – a pact now blessed by hard liner Jacques Parizeau, a former PQ Premier.

Hard line separatists like Jacques Parizeau have only one objective: the establishment of a weak, unstable and disoriented federal government that will forever be incapable of acting in the national interest.

Thanks to Stéphane Dion and Jack Layton, Jacques Parizeau is set to get the weak, unstable and disoriented federal government he always dreamed of – all without obtaining the democratic consent of the Canadian people.

PARIZEAU’S DREAM

“A weaker government in Ottawa is eminently satisfying. It’s not in the best interest of sovereignists that many people still consider Ottawa as a stable and serious government. The image must be one of a weak, disoriented government, which will become weaker and more disoriented in the future. This is perfect.” -- Le Soleil, January 19, 1991

PARIZEAU’S (EMERGING) REALITY

“Former Premier Jacques Parizeau applauded without reservation Gilles Duceppe and the Bloc Québécois’s recent “impressive victory” in forming a coalition government in Ottawa.” -- Journal de Montreal, December 3, 2008

TAKE ACTION

Canadians want an effective federal government that will govern in the interests of all Canadians. They don’t want their federal government de-stabilized by separatists who only desire a weak, unstable and disoriented federal government.

Stéphane Dion and Jack Layton have made their choice. It’s time we made ours. Now, more than ever, we must all come together and Stand up for Canada. There can be no separatist pact without the consent of the Canadian people.

4 comments:

Cameron Campbell said...

If you will permit me, I jsut posted this on my pathetic blog:

Let me tell you all something:

I’ve never voted for the LPC in my whole life. I have voted NDP, Bloc and PC. Though I’m often painted as some kind of lefty nut by the more right wing folks around that I interact with, I’m probably a soft NDP/red red tory (I’d like balanced budgets, but not at the cost of social programs - if we need to tax to take care of the weakest in our country, so be it).

I vote Bloc because Gilles is a good MP and because I honestly think they do a good job taking care of our province as MPs.

OH, and it should be pointed out that I’m anglophone. I vote this way at some personal expense. I have gotten into fights with people at workplaces and within my family about my choices.

In the last few days I, and people like me all over Canada and within Quebec, have been vilified. I love Canada with all my heart and soul. Even more so now that I’m away from home. I happen to skew left. I happen to think that people count more than companies. I think that gay people should be able to marry. I think that women should have control over their wombs (I’m not “pro-abortion” no one is “pro-abortion” please fuck off with that. I’m also pro-Union, pro-equal pay and think that government should be more transparent and that much of what goes on in the House is a circus.

I am not treasonous. I am not supporting a coup. I am not involved in sedition. I’m not a dread separatist (more on that in a second). My supporting the perfectly legal and constitutional moves of the LPC, the NDP with the support of the Bloc does not mean I’m a bad person. Just one who understand our system of government and disagrees with the CPC and Steven Harper.

I know that for many in the Rest of Canada it’s easier to simply reduce Quebec politics to federalist or separatist and then move on, as if there is nothing else that we ever think about. As if every vote we take cast is only done so through the prism of wanting to leave Canada or not.

Here’s the reality: I vote for the PQ in my home riding, not because I love the idea of Quebec leaving Canada, but because every other thing they believe I agree with. Because I hate, with a burning hot rage, Jean Charest. I have alwasy voted PQ (which I’ve been doing for about 4 provincial elections) with a sense of guilt. With an apology on my lips.

No more.

Today, and for the foreseeable future, this tête carré has had enough.

Mr Harper, congratulations. You’ve nearly turned me into a separatist.

liberal supporter said...

Parizeau was doing exactly what Osama bin Laden did when he endorsed John Kerry in 2004.

The last thing bin Laden wanted was for someone intelligent to be in charge. He wanted the US to continue to bleed its resources on a war it cannot win. He did not want Kerry to start seeking diplomatic solutions. He needed senseless killings to inflame the Muslim world. He needed the US to spend so much money on the war that it would go bankrupt. Note that now that the US is pretty well bankrupt, there was no need to go on the air to endorse anyone this time. Plus he was probably scared of Palin blowing us all to kingdom come for her holy book too. I certainly was.

Parizeau does not want a coalition that has an agreement with the Bloc. It makes it all too likely that Quebec will continue to prefer to be a major player in a big country, rather than be a small player in the bigger hemisphere.

Parizeau prefers the divisive Harper. With the hamhanded attempts to bribe Quebec resulting in cheerful acceptance of the money while jeering at Harper for being so foolish, it is much easier to make the case that Canada is a farce and that Quebec is better off out of it. The radical right wing of Harper's party just makes it that much easier for Parizeau. The abortion ban, capital punishment, gay being second class citizens, the poll tax, conscription of the poor etc etc etc. Any of these would make a separation referendum a winner.

The coalition would likely make deals and come to an understanding, instead of engaging in classic Harper junta brinksmanship. The coalition is what stands between Parizeau and the Presidency of Quebec.

Rev.Paperboy said...

Two can play this game Mr. Harper. Shall we now list all the racists, fascists, homophobes, religious crazies and anti-French bigots that backed the Reform party, the Reform-Alliance and the Gnu Konservative Party of Canada? I'd rather see Jacques Parizeau as Governor General for Life than see the knuckle draggers from Free Dominion and Lifesite and the McVeety Jebus zombies on your side running this country for 15 minutes.

Cameron Campbell said...

The hell of it all?

Parizeau is hated in Quebec and hated with in many parts of the PQ.

He's a bigoted, dried up, anglophile (irony for you) wine making fat head who should never be permitted to leave France.