Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Now THAT'S an apology.


Blogging Tory Joan Tintor gets perfectly sanctimonious regarding apologies:

Ti-Dolt's Conditional Apology

Read: "I'm sorry that partisan jerks deliberately misinterpreted my comments to make me look like a sexist, 'cause that's totally not who I am, but if you're not a partisan jerk who exploited my comments to serve your own agenda, and if you were really offended, then . . . I'm, uh, sorry."

Macleans' excellent Blog Central is reporting that Nova Scotia Liberal MP Robert Thibault is sort of apologizing for telling Marjory LeBreton to get back in the kitchen (or whatever he meant by his "figurative" reference to tea-making -- see update to post below).

“I would like to clarify my statement that appeared in the Hill Times this week. My comment was not meant to be gender-specific and I in no way intended it to be interpreted in that way. If anything I said can be interpreted as sexist, I unequivocally and wholeheartedly apologize and withdraw my comments. I have always been a strong supporter of women in politics and want to encourage not hinder their participation in the public sphere.”

Well, we've seen these kind of non-apologies before, and we'll probably see them again.

Joan has a point -- that is a weaselly kind of apology. What we need are sincere, legitimate, heartfelt apologies, dripping with real contrition. Like, uh, this one. Give the man credit -- that is one serious, meaningful and kick-ass apology.

Mind you, it never meant anything in the end, but those are just details, right, Joan?

3 comments:

Ti-Guy said...

Did Joan Tintor ever come clean about a payment she received from the Conservative Party (or the Government, I can't remember...and besides, they're both the same) that was alleged some time ago? I'd ask over at her blog, but she's got comment moderation turned on, and we all know what *that* means.

Anonymous said...

and we all know what *that* means.
Cockmeat sandwiches?

Red Tory said...

It wouldn't surprise me if her sole commenter over there is a paid shill for the CPoC too. He's suddenly all over the place bashing the Liberals. No profile info of course.