Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Attention, all you bloggy-type experts.


Fresh out of the inbox from a long-time, personal friend:

How difficult is it to set up a blog? Can you easily post comments, add multiple pictures etc. I’m trying to figure out the best way to keep in touch with friends and family while I’m away, sort of a regular journal with pictures etc. I’d prefer it not be open to the entire world and it needs to be fairly simple as I don’t intend to spend a lot of time on it daily. Your thoughts please!

I am, of course, aware of blogger.com and wordpress.com, and I've also tripped across thoughts.com (but that last one seems to support only blog names of the form "http://www.thoughts.com/your-name/blog", which isn't quite as appealing as a blogger or wordpress name.

So ... opinions? Mobile access to the blog would probably be useful as well, and I believe both blogger and wordpress support that, yes?

JUST TO BE CLEAR, there is no requirement to try to draw eyeballs to this "blog" -- it's going to be for personal use to keep in touch only with select friends and family members, so we're not looking for hits, just an easy way to post and maintain content.

6 comments:

David said...

Tumblr.com is excellent for beginners but it doesn't run ads.

E in MD said...

For what this person needs to do, I'd say go with LJ. The service is free though you can pay for upgrade stuff and you can blog all you want. I've been using it for years and for personal stuff it's just fine if basic. It's also pretty simple to use

Though as my interest in politics grows I have been toying with the idea of graduating from it. I'll probably still keep the LJ to keep in touch with people but if you're looking to draw people in you kinda need your own setup.

CC said...

For those unaccustomed to E's brevity, "LJ" refers to LiveJournal.

Mike said...

Well I like wordpress.com, but it might not be right for beginners.

Chimera said...

I just finished setting up a members-only, private blog on Blogger for a bunch of people who have never done anything on a computer beyond e-mail. It's really fast, really easy to use, and very forgiving of beginners' "mistakes." I'm pretty sure it can also be set up for remote posting via cell phone.

I'm not a greatly advanced user, myself. I've been boot-strapping this thing since I found the "on" button, and so far, so good.

Rev.Paperboy said...

I'd tend to agree with Chimera, Blogger is pretty newbie-friendly is you aren't trying to get all customized. Posting pics and text and even links don't require any html know-how and password access is easy set up.