Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"And by 'had', I mean 'didn't really have'. But you knew that, right?"


Apparently, the culture of right-wing, fetus-fetishy victimhood has taken a bizarre lurch into the nearest semantics-mangling ditch:

Baier, 36, still longs for the child who might have been, with an intensity that bewilders him: "How can I miss something I never even held?"

These days, he channels the grief into activism in a burgeoning movement of "post-abortive men." Abortion is usually portrayed as a woman's issue: her body, her choice, her relief or her regret. This new movement -- both political and deeply personal in nature -- contends that the pronoun is all wrong.

"We had abortions," said Mark B. Morrow, a Christian counselor. "I've had abortions."

In unrelated news, GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney wants you to know how proud he is of his sons who supported their country, if by "supported" you mean drove around Iowa in a fully-stocked Winnebago.

Apparently, something weird has happened to the English language while I was sleeping.

AFTERSNARK
: If you want to take a swipe at this latest example of fetus-fetishist idiocy, it appears that you'll have to stand in line.

3 comments:

Ti-Guy said...

It's heartening to see these paragons of paternal and masculine virtue coming together, in solidarity and mutual support around the under-reported crisis that is the emotional Holocaust of post-abortive men.

Keep the faith, sisters...er...I mean, brothers!

Perhaps it's time to start a support group for men who can no longer look at a kleenex, a tubesock or a watermelon on a hot day without feeling an overwhelming sense of loss and missed opportunity?

LuLu said...

"We had abortions," said Mark B. Morrow, a Christian counselor. "I've had abortions."


Someone needs to contact the AMA because Mark B. Morrow is some kind of medical marvel. Seriously.

Unknown said...

I soooo miss that Bugatti Veyron that I dreamt about last night, how can I miss something that I never held? God obviously wanted me to have that Bugatti!