Saturday, June 02, 2007

Steve Gilliard Passes

When I first discovered the unseemly reaches of the blogosphere I was stunned at the sheer breadth of vacuity. Page after link after page of burbling and duncery. I was ready to give up hope that intelligent life populated this new world. It wasn't until I found (the now retired) Billmon, Crooks & Liars and the News Blog that I was convinced. Those were my three initial anchors and reference points from which my navigations began. I've expanded my list of favourites to the point of being almost a full time job to scan through them all. I still check the News Blog at least twice a day.

Steve Gilliard was always his own man. His politics were left of center and whether you agreed or not with what he said, he always applied his fearsome intelligence to every argument. Unlike a lot of the heavily travelled community type sites, nobody pandered. You were welcome to disagree and flat out argue with Steve, as long as you kept it constructive and had a lick of wit. The comment section was a motley gang of malcontents and pocket geniuses. Where else could you go and find driftglass riffing in the threads?

What seems like forever ago, Steve fell ill. He had a history of pulmonary and renal problems. What at first seemed like a bad flu or respiratory problem turned out to be far more serious. After major surgeries, a stroke and many setbacks Steve passed today. For me and thousands of other fans and friends, this is terrible and sad news.

I'd like to send my thoughts out to Steve's family and especially to the incredible Jen, Steve's co-blogger and one of the strongest, most remarkable people you'll ever meet, virtually or otherwise. Through good and ill, Steve was blessed to have a friend like Jen. Outside of family, Steve's loss will be hardest on her. Over the long weeks of Steve's illness, Jen kept the doors open and corralled a bevy of guest posters to keep the always brilliant level of content and quality up. There are too many to mention but Drifty, Lower Manhattanite and Hubris Sonic, among many others, stepped up and hit them out of the park. Because they loved Steve and they loved the News Blog. I'll raise a glass to all of the rabble that are grieving tonight and share in the sadness. We've lost a friend and mentor, too damned young and too damn soon.

Rest in peace Steve, you've earned it. Much love.

Oh yeah. Fuck the fuckin' Yankees.

2 comments:

catnip said...

Nice tribute. I didn't read him all that often but I know that he was unabashedly opinionated. We need more people like him in the blogosphere (who actually know what they're talking about).

May he RIP.

Anonymous said...

Well said PSA. I especially liked Steve's postings on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, brilliant writing, thorough and always a sense of real passion behind it. Good man Steve.