Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Maybe they were all young Republicans.


From the safety of his comfy chair, the 101st Fighting Keyboarders' Nathaniel Blake lets us know how he might have, possibly, dealt with the situation:

College classrooms have scads of young men who are at their physical peak, and none of them seems to have done anything beyond ducking, running, and holding doors shut. Meanwhile, an old man hurled his body at the shooter to save others.

Something is clearly wrong with the men in our culture. Among the first rules of manliness are fighting bad guys and protecting others: in a word, courage. And not a one of the healthy young fellows in the classrooms seems to have done that. …

Like Derb, I don’t know if I would live up to this myself, but I know that I should be heartily ashamed of myself if I didn’t. Am I noble, courageous and self-sacrificing? I don’t know; but I should hope to be so when necessary.

Well, OK, if it weren't for Nathaniel's trick knee. An old football injury or something. But if it weren't for that ...

6 comments:

MgS said...

Uh huh. He's going to respond how, and with what training?

The only people I know that can respond coherently in such a situation have spent decades in the military - mostly in zones of live fire.

By the sounds of what we are hearing about the shooter in Virginia, Blake would have a third eye oozing blood in the middle of his forehead before he got near the man. To kill the number of people that he did with, using a .22 and 9mm pistol suggests a great deal of training, knowledge of where to shoot for maximum effect and a nearly preternatural sense of aim at moving targets.

Blake would merely have joined the legions of would-be heroes - that didn't quite make it.

Ti-Guy said...

I'm so sick of these people.

Anonymous said...

Armchair heroes? But I would have been mightily pissed off if I'd been the old professor who chose to sacrifice my life for my students and they DIDN'T run for it.

Personally, I can assure you all that I would have been frozen to the spot in fear and the old professor would have had to take time out from his heroics to push me out a window.

But I'm a girl, so, I can be honest.

Anonymous said...

Good post. Thanks.

Because you know, I can only digest so much of their stupidity at one time.

I mean, I'm blown away just hearing that two dipshits are communicating their childish fantasies about charging the gunman, AND, their disgusting accusations of "cowardice" to the victims, dead and living.

Like some kid in a school hallway startled by a crazed shooter, I don't have time to think that the contemptible morons writing this stuff:

"Am I noble, courageous and self-sacrificing? I don’t know; but I should hope to be so when necessary."

Are the same warmongering, cowardly pieces of shit who are, as of now, REFUSING to join their nation's overstretched armed forces to serve in the war that they think is the defining question of our times.

I mean, how much imbecility can God pack into a human's brain?

For the record, I once had a stranger pull a gun on me one evening, and pointed it right at my forehead.

I'm proud of myself that I didn't piss my pants, to hell with "charging the guy." "Charging the guy" actually did go through my head. Here's what I thought:

"He's pointing it straight at me, if I charge him, he'll shoot me. If I run backwards, he'll shoot me. If I jup to the side, he'll shoot me. If I jump to that side, he'll shoot me. I better do what he says."

These people who write this shit should crawl back up their mothers' assholes and ask if they can start over.

Anonymous said...

OK, we got the false bravado, the ironic statement from the President, but I'm still waiting on someone over at BT blaming this whole thing on violent video games.

Mike said...

canucklehead,

Dr. Phil has already got that dog to hunt....BT's won't go near it now.

Expect the anti-immagration crowd to start moaning soon though. I mean, the shooter was only a resident alien for 15 years...