Saturday, March 04, 2006

Cry me a river.


I don't have the energy to even get upset over the overwhelming hypocrisy here, but it's amusing to read this excerpt:

Cunningham: After years of service to this country, I made a very wrong turn. I rationalized this decision. No man has ever been more sorry. I accept responsibility. I need to make amends I want to do the right thing and clear these things up. I have made a u-turn, your honor, placing my life in the hands of god.

Fine. Then let God watch your back in the exercise yard. Good luck.

AFTERSNARK: Cunningham "rationalized" his lifestyle of total corruption and betrayal of the public trust? How the fuck do you do that? Seriously.

ONE LAW FOR THE RICH, ONE LAW FOR THE POOR. So, let's see here ... once upon a time, in 1992, we had this guy:

In perhaps the most extraordinary case of this kind, Jim Montgomery, a paraplegic immobilized from the waist down, who smoked marijuana to relieve muscle spasms, was arrested in Sayre, Oklahoma, when sheriffs found two ounces of pot in the pouch on the back of his wheelchair. Montgomery was tried and convicted in 1992, by a jury, for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, for possession of paraphernalia, for unlawful possession of a weapon during the commission of a crime (two handguns inherited from his father, a police officer), and for maintaining a place resorted to by users of controlled substances. His sentence was life in prison, plus sixteen years. Both the judge and the local prosecutor were disturbed by the sentence chosen by the jury; the judge subsequently reduced it to ten years. Montgomery spent ten months in a prison medical unit, where he developed a life-threatening infection, before being released on bond. His appeal is now pending.

Then we have Cunningham who, after confessing to "taking $2.4 million in bribes and evading more than $1 million in taxes" is sentenced to just over eight years and has the gall to ask for clemency first.

I just thought that was an amusing comparison.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Offtopic, but did you see this?

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/03/03/emerson_060303.html

CC said...

Yup. See the afterthought in my piece back here.

Anonymous said...

Lol, guess I didn't see it, and I thought I'd been ahead of you on something for once :P