Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The rich suffer their own kind of pain.


Oh, the agony of being obscenely rich:

UN bans global trade in caviar

The global trade in legal caviar has been stopped by the United Nations, leaving gourmands gasping and conservationists cheering.

"It's not good news. . . . I have clients who don't care about the price, they need legal caviar," said Mark Omidi, owner of the Toronto-based importer Caviar Centre. "It's the most prestigious commodity." ...

"We've been promised it and promised it. Finally we had to get the French," Mr. [Piers] Grimsditch said. "It's a nice caviar, but there is a difference. . . We're so used to having our beluga, our sevruga, our osetra."

I'm thinking Grimsditch might also want to get used to the general public thinking he's a pompous ass as well. But that's just a guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've never had beluga sturgeon caviar, have you?

CC said...

I've never had spotted owl kabob either, but I'm pretty sure my environmental tendencies would cause me grief there, too. :-)