Saturday, December 03, 2005

How about starting a Progressive Bloggers "library"?


Not to take anything away from the current PB.ca format but I'm thinking it might be useful to start some sort of topic-based library where one could go to read the latest on the topic of their choice.

Just based on some of the recent posts, both from myself and others, I can see collections on at least some of the following topics:
  • Intelligent Design in Canadian schools
  • The medical profession and religion-based "conscience clauses"
  • Water rights
  • Trade disputes with the United States.
and so on.

In some cases, there could be sub-topics, such as trade disputes being sub-divided into things like softwood lumber, cattle and so on.

It might be overly ambitious and I don't know how easy it would be to implement but, if you think about it, if someone wanted to know the current situation with regard to, say, Canadian water rights under NAFTA or "pro-life" pharmacists and contraceptives, it's not clear where they'd get that information in a convenient package. At least, not without wading through a lot of unrelated material first.

Is this doable? Perhaps a smaller form of Wikipedia? Thoughts?

CLARIFICATION: Just to make sure I'm getting my point across on this, I'm envisioning the library as containing topics that have a long shelf life, such as ongoing trade disputes, that sort of thing.

At the other end of the spectrum, a current hot topic is the candidacy of Michael Ignatieff for the Liberals and, while that's an important issue, it's also fairly transient and has a short shelf life so it wouldn't be that appropriate for the library. Although I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good idea, and I had set up something like that here:

http://www.progressivebloggers.ca/wiki

But, I ran into some trouble trying to integrate the login system with the main site's (so you don't have to register twice) and I don't really know how to administer a Wiki. But it's definitely something that is on the radar screen and if someone is willing to help me develop it... :)