Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Suddenly, "nation building" is a good thing. Who knew?


Quick, Sherman, into the wayback machine:

"Let me tell you what else I'm worried about: I'm worried about an opponent who uses nation building and the military in the same sentence. See, our view of the military is for our military to be properly prepared to fight and win war and, therefore, prevent war from happening in the first place."

George W. Bush, Nov. 6, 2000

Fast forward to, well, today:

US planning for Cuba's "transition" after the demise of Fidel Castro has entered a new stage, with a special office for reconstruction inside the US State Department preparing for the "day after", when Washington will try to back a democratic government in Havana.

The inter-agency effort, which also involves the Defense Department, recognises that the Cuba transition may not go peacefully and that the US may have to launch a nation-building exercise.

Dear Wankervillians: How does it feel to have been lied to? I mean, flat out, in-your-face, boot-to-the-nads kind of lied to?

No, I didn't think it bothered you. Sorry I asked. What was I thinking?

(Credit to Cathie from Canada for the link.)

No comments: