Tuesday, November 08, 2005

An army of ... sorry, what comes after "one"?


Oh, this is promising -- giving high-powered weapons to the mentally handicapped:

The number of new recruits who scored at the bottom of the Army's aptitude test tripled last month, Pentagon officials said, helping the nation's largest armed service meet its October recruiting goal but raising concerns about the quality of the force...

"We have clear experience from the 1970s with recruiting a sizable number of people from the lowest mental categories," said [Former Army Secretary Thomas E.] White.

I just know there's a Jonah Goldberg joke in there somewhere.

3 comments:

Scott in Montreal said...

Full circle jerk to Vietnam of stupid is as stupid does. Ping Pong anyone?

Anonymous said...

In what context is White's comment? I'd read the whole article but I'm tired of 'registration' for publications I rarely read.
overall, though, this is scary. the people I met while enlisted in the US Army were, for the most part, incapable of critical thinking anyway. I shudder to think at these poor souls on their way to basic...

CC said...

That article doesn't appear to require registration. I certainly didn't need to register.