Saturday, June 18, 2005

"As It Happens" and the 9/11 hijackers myth.


Did anyone else catch the CBC's "As It Happens" last night? Driving home, I just caught the last snippet of an interview in which the guest was talking about border security and claimed that some 11 of the 9/11 hijackers entered the U.S. through Canada, a myth that has been thoroughly debunked by now.

To her credit, the host was moderately aggressive in disagreeing with that claim, saying something like "I'm pretty sure that's not true." Personally, I would have preferred a response something like, "You are an ignorant dick and total wanker, and I'm going to cut you off before you say something even stupider." But I'll take what I can get.

Are show transcripts available online somewhere? From the brief clip I heard, it sounded like the guest might have been one of these volunteer, border patrol Minutemen assholes,

2 comments:

RossK said...

corrected for spelling....

_____
I caught it.

Unbelievable.

Was good to hear Ms. Finlay take the gloves off.

Haven't heard her do that much since she and her husband were banished from Sunday Morning (the original edition).

Something else I found rather bizarre. This one from the interview with the first guy, the Canucklehead, and that was that these folks will be trained by the Minutemaidmen by very professional powerpoint presentations.

In other words......slide shows.

Amateur said...

I cuaght it too. The interview with the American was pretty jaw-dropping.

The two people noted are both members of the American-Canadian Conservative Coalition (note the order of the nations in the title).

You can read text capsules here (scroll down to "MINUTEMEN") but not the actual interviews. The audio is apparently available, but I can't access it right now.

Note also that the American "hosts a radio talk show" in Detroit, so in some sense he is Ms. Finlay's peer. Awesome.